Goring Road, Worthing, West Sussex, is one of the main thoroughfares of the town and is one of its most popular shopping destinations with a nice mix of cafes, supermarkets, barbers, restaurants and bars. Since moving in to No 38 we’ve been wondering about the history of the area – when it was built and what used to be here.
We asked local expert Phil Wood to investigate and using old books, library records and maps, this is what he discovered.
Goring Road Features
The Elm Grove/Ripley Road area to the north/east of Goring Road was mostly a Victorian/Edwardian development but nothing existed between it and what is now George V Avenue until the shops and flats were developed in the late 1920’s/early 1930’s.
The first part of the road to be developed was the far eastern end adjacent to Elm Grove – the late 1920’s/early 30’s Mock Tudor shops (now Lazy Brunch Kitchen, Pizza Hut and Link), built some time before 1932.
The other buildings, including ours were built between 1932 and 1938. The land itself formed part of the Peachey’s estate – they were an old landowning family who farmed in the area and as far as Guildford. There was a transfer in 1896 to William Magness who owned nurseries nearby. In 1934 the land changed hands once again, this time to a Leslie Waterman who we believe may have been the developer of the parade.
Once built, our office (No. 38) became, in 1936 the Westminster Bank which later merged with The National and Provincial Bank. A few years later our neighbour at No. 40 was occupied by J Mills, Fishmonger. He traded throughout the war years and in 1946 he transferred the business to David Malcolm, also a fishmonger.
It then became Hill and Hill Fishmongers until 1960 when Achille Serre Dry Cleaners took over until 1968. The Temperance Permanent Society then took over until they themselves were swallowed up by the Gateway Building Society in 1975. Sometime after, both 38 and 40 were knocked through to become on unit occupied by NatWest Bank who remained here until 2018.
Future Planned Relocation Services Ltd took over in 2018 and following a major refurbishment, took up occupation in January 2019. And so begins the latest chapter in the story of 38 and 40 Goring Road.