Our house moving checklist will help you:
- Figure out what to look for when on a property viewing
- Avoid costly mistakes and help you negotiate a better price for the property
- Save you time and hassle
If you would just like to print out our moving checklist for when you attend a viewing, then you can download the PDF’s below.
Moving Checklist for Potential Issues
When you go on a viewing for your potentially new house, it’s important to be aware of any issues that might affect the property.
Use our property checklist as a reminder to avoid any nasty or hidden issues.
- Has there been regular maintenance and servicing on the boiler?
- Look for a date on the servicing sticker or booklet – is this within the last twelve months?
- Check the fuse box to get an indication of how old the electrical circuits are
- Check the condition of the sockets, old sockets may suggest the rest of the wiring is not up to date
Roof and Attic
- Are there any missing, cracked, misaligned slates or tiles?
- Do the gutters have any holes, do they appear solidly fixed, or are there signs of blockages?
- Is the chimney leaning or bulging, or are there any signs of damage?
- Can you get easy access to the attic space? If there is no ready access, it could indicate that the attic is not checked regularly
- Are there any damp patches in the attic or around the house?
- If there is a burglar alarm, is it remotely monitored, and does it have a maintenance contract?
- Are there smoke alarms installed and do they work?
- Check the attic for any sign of wasp nests?
- Look for teeth marks on boxes or bags in the attic and mouse droppings
- Do the windows fit properly within their frames? Any gaps could cause rattling and indicate a bodged job
- Check for any misting within double glazed units as this indicates the seal is damaged
- Check whether the windows which open are lockable, and check whether any have been painted shut
- Check the locks on all the doors to the property to ensure they are secure and have been correctly installed
- Do the door and/or window locks have keys, and if so how many sets?
- Are there any signs of damp patches under the radiator valves or are they rusty?
- Are there any signs of rust on the radiators themselves?
- Look out for patches of damp or mould – whilst these could be a result of a temporary leak, they may indicate something more serious
- New patches of paint, plaster or strips of wallpaper may be hiding a problem
- Check outside for smells from any drains – this may indicate that there is a blockage or other problem
- Check that any drain covers are secure and don’t have any cracks
- Check to see whether the drains have become clogged with leaves
Want To Sell Your House Fast?
Speak to a member of our team and discuss your options with us today.